Moving doesn’t have to be overwhelming. This checklist can help ensure that you are prepared and as stress-free as possible on your moving day.
3-4 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE
- Make an inventory of everything to be moved
- Donate any unwanted clothing or furniture. Label boxes with their room destination on top and sides.
- Book your moving company or movers
- Contact insurance company to transfer policies (life, homeowners)
- Fill out change of address with post office
Arrange disconnect / activation dates for Utility companies:
- Electric / Gas / Water / Sewer
2 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE
- Notify government office
- of Motor Vehicles / Voters Registration
- Social Security Administration
- City / County Tax Assessor
- State / Federal Tax Bureau (IRS)
- Veterans Administration
- Notify other businesses
- Auto finance company
- Insurance company
- Bank / Credit Union
- Credit card companies
- Cell phone company
- Health club / gym
- Home Care Services (Lawn, snow removal, etc)
- Magazines / Newspapers
- Monthly memberships (Netflix, book of month, etc)
- Human Resources department with employer
- Any other service that would need an updated billing address
1 WEEK PRIOR TO MOVE
- Pack an essentials box. Fill the box with things you might need once you arrive at your new house (paper products and utensils, light bulbs, small tool kit, trash bags, scissors, etc.) Load the essentials box last so that it’s the first thing you unload upon arrival.
- Prepare appliances. Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment, gas grills, etc. to prepare for move.
- Pack for travel. If moving long distances, prepare clothes and toiletries to cover the days you’ll travel. Don’t forget to fill prescriptions.
- Clear a path. Make sure nothing is blocking hallways to help ease with moving boxes, furniture.
- Do a final walkthrough. Check every room and closet one last time to make sure nothing is left behind. Make sure lights are turned off. Windows shut/locked. All house keys, garage openers, remotes surrendered.